Wednesday, July 13, 2011

DIY-ing

I'm a big fan of doing things myself, the poor mister always has to deal with me looking up how to make the homemade version of something before we buy it (I find it necessary to know if we have to buy it). I've also taken a liking to crafting, which I never really fancied myself to be a big crafter or even super artistic for that matter, but it's been fun. It all started when the CPA studying was in full swing (not my studying, let's be clear) and as it was summer I was only working part time, so the afternoons were a bit slow. I needed something to pass the time, and my crocheting skills from maybe elementary school came out. I guess I made it further than I expected, but it still isn't finished...more than a year later. One of these days I suppose.

A few examples of crafting endeavors that have gone better than the blanket:

refurbished dresser.

before.
 after.
 (actually the blue is being changed to gray, I'll post an update later)
                      
modge-podged wreath.



painted and monogrammed knife block.



refurbished desk.


Looking at these things reminds me that I can in fact have a successful crafting experience when something like this happens:
 
 See all that red goo? It's hot wax that apparently didn't want to stay in the tin. I had sealed the entire tin but learned that hot wax seems to make super glue warm back up and the seal didn't hold, leading to the mess at hand. Actually the mess got much worse once I started cleaning it up, wax on the floor, stove, counter, deck, my leg and foot. 
 
Hopefully my current project will go smoother. I'm in the process of refurbishing these two dressers: 
 

I picked up these beauties last week, can you believe someone didn't want them? In need of a good scrub and a new paint job (I've decided on paint for the big one) and handles but I think they will be nice by the time I finish. If you or anyone you know is in need of a dresser, let me know! 

keep it simple.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh... I love this. On so many levels. Not only for the fact that my dresser made it's debut, but also because of your hilarious comments like "(not me studying, let me be clear)". Amazing:)

    ReplyDelete